Film visa or F visa is granted to those applicants who desire to come to India for shooting a feature film, reality TV show and commercial TV serials under the permission of the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, after approval of the proposal by Government of India.
Some of the key information and conditions written below:
- A letter of permission for the shooting of the film, TV serials, and reality shows, mentioning the production name, production schedule, or the date of shooting, details of cast and crew come to India with the production company for shooting purpose.
- However, the applicant also needs to give information regarding the location where the film is going to shoot; list of filming equipment (which the applicant is carrying with the production team) and other important details about the foreign company comes for shooting the film in India to the Indian Post locations or Indian Mission.
- The visa application for Film Visa needs to submit at the website or embassy with the requisite permission to shoot the film, television serials, cinema, commercial TV series and reality TV show from the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, Government of India.
Procedure for processing of the proposal for filming
All the proposals must process under the permission of the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting. And, the production team coming to India from a foreign country must adhere to the script for which the team comes to India to shoot. However, it should have to be approved by the Government of India before the beginning of the shoot.
- The Ministry of Information and Broadcasting will attach a liaison officer to the foreign team so that the film shoot can run on according to the Script (earlier) approved by the government.
- However, once filming is done in India, the foreign team must show the complete film to a representative of the Government of India, in India or abroad (i.e. an Indian Mission or Post abroad), before the film’s actual release anywhere in the entire world. The film production also needs to be careful that no portion of the film should show in the open forum without having the approval of the Government of India or the certificate.
- The production team (Directors, Producers, and other creative heads) must get the prior clearance from the Ministry of Home Affairs for shooting or filming the movie, TV serials, reality shows, etc. in case the script demands Jammu and Kashmir, North East Border areas and restricted or prohibited and protected locations to be shoot or may the film involves sensitive subjects.
- In other cases, the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting will examine the proposal submitted by the production team and communicate their clearance to the Indian Missions or Post for grant of Film Visa to the foreigners who wish to shoot their movie in India. The government of India will also grant local permission, wherever requires, however, the filming team must co-operate with local authorities. And, the foreign filming team must submit the list of equipment for temporary which are using with the film shooting to the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, in prior.
- However, if the filming program falls under in question and it bears something sensitive to India’s relations with other foreign countries, or may have a foreign policy perspective, then it should be viewed by the Ministry of External Affairs (XP Division).
Grant of Film Visa
Foreign nationals or desirous production teams who are coming to India to shoot their feature film, commercial TV serials, TV shows, and reality shows in India will be granted with Film Visa. However, the applicant needs to adhere with some film specifics.
- The maximum duration or time of the Film visa will be for one year with multiple entry facility so that the team who are coming shouldn’t face any other problem and can execute their work in India comfortably. However, if the film is not shooting during the provided time, then the team will be given an extension by Foreigners Regional Registration Officer (FRRO)/ Foreigners Registration Officer (FRO) for another one year. The application of extension (the period of filming) must be submitted within 30 days (not later this time) before the expiry date of Film Visa that is approved by the government of India for shooting or filming.
- The Film visa holder (production team) must submit their list of crew or staff for a specific film that is being shot by a foreign production company. However, the government of India allows 125 foreign crew members for a film project under this visa regime, unless the project with large scale will be allowed on case to case basis or required.
General guidelines for visa applicants
- 1. Strictly no amendment in the application form, and every single detail should be in type written (*must not forget to type exact details which are written on your passport).
- 2. Uploading of photographs. The Embassy or the authority of immigration wishes that all photographs which you are going to upload must match the given instruction: apply for the Basic Life Support (BLS or Medical care) International centre. The photo should be the same as the 2x2 picture attached in the application form.
- 3. NO scanned signature.
- 4. Foreign Nationals or citizens desire to come to India with Film Visa must provide an explanation letter why they're applying for this visa. *Hand written is not allowed.
- 5. Passport with a minimum validity of six months from the date of visiting India.
- 6. You must have a photocopy of the passport bio page.
- 7. You also need to have your copy of the reservation Ticket. And not Confirmed ticket (return ticket) needs to be produced at the time of submission of the application (two-way ticket).
- 8. You should also offer your proof of financial standing or recent bank statement.
- 9. The applicant also needs to show the received approval of the Information and Broadcasting ministry for shooting the film with your Film visa form.
- 10. Type of production.
- 11. Feature Film.
- 12. Reality TV Show.
- 13. Commercial TV Serial.
- 14. Complete address of shooting location.
- 15. Phone/ Fax.
- 16. Email.
*Embassy may ask for the additional document if needed from the applicant.
Documents and other details
All pages of the film visa application form must be printed on the letter-head paper of the Production Company, agency, or organization. The Undertaking must be signed with date and stamp. Two copies of the filled application form have to be submitted with the Undertaking to the Embassy of India, and should contain the following information which is written below:
Documents required for Film Visa: Firstly, the applicant needs to submit his or her application for Film Visa with these documents
- 2 recent Passport size photos.
- Original Passport.
- Photocopy of the passport with the relevant pages including residence visa page
- Application Form
- Detailed Synopsis
- Itinerary (Ports of entry and exit from India to be indicated)
- Bio-profile of the journalist/ film-director
- Brief presentation of the production agency
- List of crew-members giving the following details:
1. Name and surname as featuring in the passport
2. Contact coordinates - telephone & e-mail address
5. Date and place of birth (Day/ Month/ Year)
6. Passport number & validity
The foreigners who are coming in India on Film Visa will have to register himself or herself with the Regional Registration Officer (FRRO)/ Foreigners Registration Officer (FRO) concerned so that they can stay in India for filming during that specific period.
The foreign cast and crew coming to India on a Film Visa for the movie shoot shall be employed with the aid of the foreign film industry seeking for permission to shoot the film in India, must take the responsibility of their cast and crew members who are coming to India for filming.
However, the production team must provide a financial statement so that it can be seeing the adequate finance to support them in India while project is going on in the country, and have enough amounts of cash to return to their own country when the Film visa expires.
Note: Duration of Visa or the number of entries in India is purely the discretion of the Indian Embassy, or Consulate has no role in order to make any approach or process. The applicant has to observe and realize that Visa will not be a subject of right, and, hence the Embassy / Consulates might deny the visa if no longer observed the eligibility / or does no longer have adequate supporting documentation. If the process is not matching according to the demand from the authority will not grant a film visa if you request more days or time in India. So, provide your details and information before you submit your application, and must pay your application process amount. There will be no clarifications on this regard, and the resolution or decision of the Embassy / Consulate will probably be final.